Receive all updates via Facebook. Just Click the Like Button Below

Powered By | Blog Gadgets Via Blogger Widgets

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Polka Dot Frenzy "The Beginning"

The cake seemed so simple.  I was very, very wrong.  Now, it wasn't as complicated as the Alice in Wonderland cake from last year, but WOW...it was close.

Where to start? 
First I made the cakes...two 8 inch round and two 6 inch round.  I level off all of the cakes and then let them sit out for a while until they are completely cool and the outside no longer feels moist (FYI, I really don't like the word moist, but I can't think of a better one).  Then I add my filling, this one has a strawberry filling, and put the two cakes together.  My next step is to crumb coat the cakes with a layer of buttercream (this is a very thin coat of icing to keep it from making crumbs). Makes sense, right?  Then into the fridge it goes.

Now I make my fondant (MMF) in all of the colors I need.  For this cake I needed Black, Hot Pink and White.  When I am done I pull out the cakes and add another thin layer of buttercream.  I roll out my fondant to about 1/8 of an inch and carefully place it over the cake and smooth it out, cutting off the excess.  This sounds so easy, but I have really screwed this up more times than I want to admit.

 Here is what the cake looked like at this point.


I threw some buttercream on top of the bottom (white) layer and put the top on.


Then I made a crapload (official cake making terminology) of black circles
...they have multiple uses in this project.



I used white buttercream that I thickened up with powdered sugar
to attach the dots to the cake.

Now onto the bows.  I need one large white one for the top of the cake, little pink ones for the Minnie's on the side of the cake and little white ones for the cupcakes.  I did mention that I was also making cupcakes, right?


I will go into the making of the bows at a later date, but I do recommend having parchment paper handy to dry your fondant on.

Oh, and I made little pink dots to put on the big white bow, too.
I put all of this onto the cake using hot pink buttercream.

 










Then I took a much needed break.  Seriously. 


No comments:

Post a Comment