Receive all updates via Facebook. Just Click the Like Button Below

Powered By | Blog Gadgets Via Blogger Widgets

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Birthdays bring out my best

Nothing makes me want to try something new like a birthday party.

My child: Mommy, I want balloon animals at my party.
Mommy: Sure.  I will learn how to do those lickty split.

My other child: Mommy, I want this super awesome topsy-turvy fondant cake for my birthday.
Mommy:  No problem.  I will learn how to make fondant and take a couple of engineering classes.

My almost 5 year old thinks I can do anything (she is very close to the truth) and always comes up with some crazy new thing that she wants.  This year she wants a Minnie Mouse Masquerade party.  She came up with the idea after seeing this cake while I was researching cakes for someone else.
Of course I think, "I can totally do this and it will be amazing and everyone will ohhh and ahhh when they see it, and oh, matching cupcakes are a must."
She decides she wants red velvet cake and my first thought is gees oh man, white fondant is NEVER going to cover that.  Crap.  I talk her down to strawberry.

I make all of my fondant from scratch.  I use marshmallow fondant (MMF) because it tastes good and the kids love it.  I use this recipe replacing the water with clear vanilla extract http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Rolled-Marshmallow-Fondant .   You can use any flavor you want but almond and orange taste really good, too. 

I also make my own buttercream.  I can adjust the consistency depending on what I need it for.  It is SUPER cheap to make and SUPER expensive to buy.  Wilton has an ok basic buttercream recipe.  I suggest playing around and coming up with your own.  I have to say mine is really yummy.  ;)

I plan on trying some new things with this cake that I haven't done before (like the bow).  Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment