Receive all updates via Facebook. Just Click the Like Button Below

Powered By | Blog Gadgets Via Blogger Widgets

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

How It All Began

A popular question lately has been, "Shelby, how did you start making cakes?" It is a little bit of a story, but I thought maybe those of you out there in Blogger land may be interested, too!

The Beginning:
I go all out for my daughters' birthday parties.  I mean ALL out.  I transform most of the house into whatever theme they have chosen for that year.  We start by picking a theme and then searching it on Google Images.  They pick out pictures of things they like and I save them in a folder made specifically for that birthday.
When my youngest was 3 and we were planning her 4th birthday party she decided on a Alice in Wonderland/ Mad Hatter Tea Party theme.  We were doing our annual Google search and we came across a picture of a cake that she just had to have.  "Mommy, that is all I want for my birthday.  You don't have to get me anything else, not even a Barbie.  I will be extra-special good.  Promise."  Then she gave me her big puppy dog look with the bottom lip sticking out.  I caved.

This is the picture we found:

It was on www.cakecentral.com ...which was a great resource on how to actually make the cake.


Here is what mine actually looked like:


Looking back I can't believe what a good job I did.  I had no idea what I was doing.  Now, almost 2 years later I have a lot more tricks up my sleeve, but still think this first cake was one of my best.

No comments:

Post a Comment