Receive all updates via Facebook. Just Click the Like Button Below

Powered By | Blog Gadgets Via Blogger Widgets

Monday, January 9, 2012

$50 Bathroom Update

Our house was built in 1889.  We love it, but we have had to put tons of work into it.  One room that I have barely touched is our 3/4 downstairs bathroom.  When we moved in it was yellow with blue flowers stenciled on it and so far all I have done is to paint over that and add an etagere.  To be honest I painted the walls and then got annoyed and left the ceiling yellow.  That was 8 years ago.

This summer the sink fell off of the wall (lathing holds up absolutely nothing) and we had to replace the light fixture.  Now there is a large hole around the sink and a yellow square around the new light.  My goal for January is to make the bathroom look more, ummmm...taken care of, I guess.  This is the bathroom all of our guests use and I would like it to be nice and not scary.

My scary bathroom!

This project got off the ground with a $50 gift card for Home Depot we got for Christmas.  My challenge?  Not spend anymore than the $50.  Cross your fingers.

My plan:
1) Paint the ceiling and trim with leftover paint.
2) Fill in holes with joint compound that we already have.
3) Touch up the walls with leftover paint from 8 years ago (not kidding).
4) Update etagere by removing the bottom and hanging (securely) on the wall.
5) Repaint and decoupage the storage cabinet that my kids have written all over.
6) Update floor with peel and stick tiles.
7) Replace bathroom fixtures (I bought these a while back and have not used them yet.  I didn't figure them into the cost but they were around $80. I don't consider this cheating since I already have them.)
8) Make some kind of window treatment for the window.
9) Make a new sink skirt.


My shopping list:
1) Hardware to hang the etagere.
2) Spray paint for the cabinet.  I need a color and a sealant.
3) New knobs for the cabinet and the doors.
3) Peel and stick tiles. This is my biggest expense.
4) Fabric (If I can't figure something out with what I already have).

I already started by painting the ceiling white.  Ok, it needs a couple more coats, but it is a start.  Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. Go for it..you are creative enough to make it look good. It will be fun...if you do need a new sink let me know, my husband's a plumber and he can get you a new one and he even gets nice things that people are remodeling with and he reuses them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. always check out the clearance rack at home depot/lowes and ever hardware-stores....good luck on the projects...I am planing on updating/painting some of my rooms this year-as part of my new year's resolution thing that I have going on.Good luck and keep us posted
    Bianca

    ReplyDelete
  3. i know a contractor if you need help....

    ReplyDelete