Receive all updates via Facebook. Just Click the Like Button Below

Powered By | Blog Gadgets Via Blogger Widgets

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Bathroom Update....well, Update

Last night I spent 2 hours putting in the floor.  I have three "tricky" tiles left and I decided to wait until I was more rested to try to tackle them.  Probably a smart move, don't you think?

So far I have spent $45 of my $50.  I bought the tiles ($32) and two cans of spray paint ($8) and four drawer pulls ($5).  I am leaving the last $5 for anything last minute I may need to finish up.

After I cleared out the bathroom I started by taking the legs off of the etagere.  Then I spray painted the cabinet green (my youngest picked out the color and I think it looks pretty good).  I used Google images to find old soap and bathroom ads.  I printed them out and then decoupaged them onto the drawer fronts and the top.  I used a clear matte spray paint to seal them (I seriously put 9 coats on the top). I put on the new drawer pulls and VOILA!  Look at the difference:



While I was waiting for paint to dry on the cabinet I tackled fixing the walls.  I filled in all the holes and fixed some badly done seams.  I let them dry overnight and then sanded and primed.



Then I painted, and painted, and painted.  The walls got a fresh new coat of blue (from a can of 8 year old paint I had to pry the lid off of).  I mixed that paint with a darker blue for the back wall. Then I painted all of the trim a pure white.  Oh...I forget to tell you that I had to take all of the 1/4 round off of the baseboards first.  I will paint those separately before putting them back.  It was starting to come together!


It's alright to be amazed by me right now.  It does look sooooo much better!
Next was the floor.  I bought some budget conscious peel and stick tile that was surprisingly easy to install.  Cuts were easy to make by scoring the back of the tile, bending it, and then cutting from the front on the bend.  I used a straight edge and a brand new blade in my box cutter.  My only problem was around the toilet and it still wasn't that bad.  I used the entire box (a few bad cuts on some tiles near the end) and it really made a drastic difference!


Before
After
I still have to finish the floor, 1/4 round, and hang the cabinet, art and photos, but I am almost there.  I have decided against a new sink skirt because it now looks fine without one and it makes it look bigger.  I also think it looks better without a window treatment now that the wall is such a focal point being bright blue. Three days, some hard work and a gift card...can't beat it. Let me know what you think!




No comments:

Post a Comment