Receive all updates via Facebook. Just Click the Like Button Below

Powered By | Blog Gadgets Via Blogger Widgets

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Handmade With Love

My Gram passed away this week and so I am going to dedicate this blog to her.  Love you, Gram!

My cousin Stephanie, me and my Gram at my cousin Chris's wedding
Growing up your mom always tells you that the gifts you make are the best ones.  If you are like me you never really believed her.  Now, as a mom myself, I know that is actually true. Gifts made for others are the ones that are kept and cherished.  You can't return them with a gift receipt and you can't re-gift them.  When you pull out the handmade gift you always know who made it for you. 10 years later I have no idea who got me which wedding gift, but I know who made me gifts I've had since childhood.  Many of those gifts were made for me by my Gram.

Mia is modeling bedding made for me by my Gram
This is a baby doll bedding set my Gram made for me.  If I remember correctly, my uncle made my sister and me baby doll beds and my Gram made the bedding.  The bed is long gone, but the bedding remains and is now used by my 5 year old for her beloved American Girl twins.

My Gram and I spent plenty of time discussing crocheting over the years because we both had a passion for it.  She was always excited to hear about any new project I had going.  Following in her footsteps, I have also made some baby doll items.

Mia and Daisy modeling hats I crocheted for them
My Gram made blankets for each of my daughters when they were born.  She crocheted one for my youngest even though it must have been painful with her arthritis.

Comfy blankets made by Great-grammy
When I was in High School she painted this porcelain doll for me.  It is now on a shelf in my daughters' room.  I have moved 6 times since she painted it for me and I have carefully relocated it each time (if you knew me you would realize this is actually an amazing accomplishment).

I am so pretty, don't you think?
My daughters have a talent for painting porcelain figurines, also...it must be genetic.

Colorful
So, just remember that the next time you think that a gift made by you isn't good enough, it is.  And that person will know that you love them.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about your Gram. I know the special place they have in our lives & hearts! So nice to see you cherished her & your time together so much! It really was a very nice to share your memories of her with us :)

    ReplyDelete