Receive all updates via Facebook. Just Click the Like Button Below

Powered By | Blog Gadgets Via Blogger Widgets

Monday, June 27, 2011

Can I Mold That for You?

I wanted to make some really realistic seashells for a beach themed cake.  I was at the cake decorating store and noticed that they had some really great seashell candy molds.  They were around $2 so I thought, "What the heck, may as well try it."

I went online to see if there was any information on exactly how to use candy molds with fondant.  There were lots of suggestions on how to use them.  Lots, and lots, and lots!  I tried almost all of them.  Putting them in the freezer, letting them dry overnight, putting powdered sugar in the molds...none of it really worked.  If I was going to use the molds I was going to need to figure it out on my own.

And I did!!!!  Figure it out, I mean.  It took me 27 tries, but I finally figured it out.

So let me save you some trouble, frustration and the desire to pull out your hair.  This is how to do it.  Easy peasy (as my five year old would say).

1. Roll a ball of fondant in the size you need to fill the mold.
2. Coat it in powdered sugar.
3. Push fondant into mold.
4. Remove excess if needed. (If you do, coat the back with powdered sugar before you remove it)
5. If you don't get the detail that you want repeat steps 2 and 3.

I used molds for the seashells, fish, crabs, lobster and seahorses.  The seashells I made out of white fondant and then hand-painted them when they were dry.  I am so happy with the results.  You will be seeing me stalking the candy molds aisle from now on!

No comments:

Post a Comment